Wednesday, January 31, 2007


Cool Music for Kids

I am constantly in search of new music for myself and for my kids. I like to find tunes that are appropriate for all of us. Fun, moving, interesting, clever, clap hands, rump shakin good music. Please, not Barney blurting, or Dora slaughtering both the English and Spanish musical language. These two characters are fine if my kids want to listen to them alone or with friends, but when we are listening, dancing, and air banding together, I want something substantial.

There are many more options today for the music obsessed parent. Great artist from the near past like Replacements front man Paul Westerberg, Lisa Loeb, They Might Be Giants, and former Del Fuegos principal Dan Zanes have all cut albums for the under 10 set in recent years. Jason Ringenburg, frontman of Jason and the Scorchers, has reincarnated himself as farmer Jason.

Most of their music fits my criteria, but some of it can make you want to smash your sons Lego tower. It's all a matter of taste and tolerance when it comes to sharing music with your children.

Here are some of my children's favorites:

The Beatles-classic choice I know but it gets them every time
Micheal Franti and Spearhead- uplifting,positive, reggae vibe. My daughters absolute favorite
Andrew Bird-hauntingly beautiful, great chill down music, and he whistles!
Jack Johnson- my son is convinced that it's curious george singing
The Young Dubliners- they can't help that they have some Irish blood coursing through them
Ray Charles- they love the song Mess Around
Elvis- you cant go wrong with the king
Putumayo compilations- they love them all-a especially Reggae for Kids
Green Day- they like the rock.
The Reals- they love it because their dad plays in the band.
Dan Zanes- rocket ship beach is alot of fun
Jerry Garcia & David Grisman- not for kids only cd is good music for evryone.
Boogie Nights Sountrack- Disco baby!

2 comments:

  1. Hey don't forget the band Rockosaurus Rex. Hard rockin' nursery rhymes from the prehistoric masters of metal on a 21 song album called The Big Bang!. Puts all those folksy children's "rock" musicians to shame, by being dynamic & radio worthy. http://www.rockosaurusrex.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:50 PM

    A valiant effort, and a good-looking list of bands there. I'd like to add one more: Musiplication. I made it for kids and parents like you :)
    Check it out at:
    www.musiplication.com or
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/katvellos
    Have fun! Kat :)

    ReplyDelete