Tuesday, March 01, 2011


I hear the word milestones thrown around allot when people are talking about parenting.  It usually starts with a discussion about sleeping through the night, and moves through teeth, first word, crawling, walking, potty training, and on and on.  As my children have gotten older I have noticed that milestones turn into moments.  If you don't pay attention, the moment will rip past you before you have even opened your eyes. It's easier when there little.  They can't leave the house without you, actually they cant do anything without you. It is a captive singular audience.  You notice every gesture, every snot bubble, every new laugh and smile.  Today I would have a hard time telling you what my son wore to school. Hectic schedules of sports, after school programs, and plays are the norm now.  Last night I was paying attention and caught a glimpse of a moment. My son making us all laugh at dinner by delivering a punch line with perfect timing, delivery and sweetness.  He seemed proud of himself as we all repeated his gag line several times after, laughing harder each time.  He is finding his sense of humor and it is a beautiful thing.   I am writing this as a reminder to myself. Pay attention to the moments, because they are milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment