Thursday, September 08, 2011

Healthy habits during pregnancy!


Have you or a girlfriend ever used pregnancy as an excuse to skip workouts or to overindulge because you’re “eating for 2?”  Pregnancy is the perfect time to start or continue a healthy lifestyle…no more excuses.  A nutritious diet, a low to moderate exercise regimen, and a rested state will help lead to a greater feeling of well-being for not only you, the mother, but also your growing child and family.  The habits you form now will affect generations to come.
When I was pregnant with my son 3 years ago, I had the nutrition part down.  A cold glass of milk coupled with a piece of fruit and steel cut oatmeal was my breakfast staple.  Lunch was always a hearty, protein rich salad with a side of fruit and wheat crackers.  My dinners were as equally balanced.  I religiously hydrated every hour and munched on snacks as needed (nuts, raw veggies, dried or fresh fruit, and an occasional brownie – my guilty pleasure).
Exercise was also a no brainer.  However, when fellow gym rats began questioning me and my protruding baby bump about my rigorous weight lifting routine and long runs on the treadmill, I figured I better do a little prenatal exercise research.  In the end, I didn’t want to harm my little being inside.  Some websites suggested I refrain from all abdominal work, another said to not lift objects greater than 30lbs, and others cautioned me to keep my heart rate under 140 beats per minute.  If this was all true, then my son and I were doomed!  Luckily however, I learned of a local pre- and postnatal program.  Each Stroller Strides/Fit4Baby instructor was nationally certified and based their workouts upon the rate of perceived exertion.  Not only did I receive a phenomenal interval based workout that combined cardiovascular and strength training, but I was given modifications for certain moves, kindly reminded to tone it down during tough sets, and made close friends with my 12 other competitors (all soon to be or new mamas).
Now, the resting part…hmmm…that is something I still struggle with to this day.  However, during my pregnancy state, I did take an hour out of my afternoon each day to read a book or do some reflective thinking.  Reducing my schedule and obligations, taking time for myself, and getting to bed early are some of my goals that are slowly becoming more achievable.
It’s truly up to you to determine where the line falls; just try to do what’s best for you and your baby’s health.  Eat nutrient dense foods, enroll in prenatal exercise (Yoga and Pilates are wonderful options as well), and get ample rest. 

Written by Sarah Johnson (Registered Nurse - predominant experience in labor and delivery and newborn nursery, AFAA Certified Group Exercise Instructor, Nationally Certified in Pre/Post Natal Fitness)  For more Information or to attend a class with Sarah click on the Stroller Strides logo below!

NOTE: This information is not intended to be a medical guideline for pregnant women. If you are pregnant, it is recommended that you consult your physician to determine a prenatal exercise program that is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment